Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Close...but not quite

I buy this "wheat" bread from the bakery on campus. it looks like wheat bread (most times-sometimes there are bits of white, which adds weight to the upcoming theory), but it doesn't really taste like wheat bread. I am thinking they just put some coloring or something in it and call it "wheat" bread. You might find yourself saying, really? But yes, really. It is totally something that would happen in China-specifically in my city. See something "Western" and cut corners to imitate it. Use wheat flour? Heck no. Just put some of that brown coloring stuff in the white flour and call it good. I'm not complaining, I am just sharing. Most times its just more amusing than frustrating. I bet I could even have a blog committed only to poor western food imitations found here, yeah, just food. At least the PB & J on the bread is solid. I did have some legit bread the other day though. It was a fatty unsliced loaf from Walmart (did you know we have two Walmarts?), I made some clutch French toast with it. It's tough to get back to Walmart though, so I suppose the "wheat" bread will have to do for now, along with the not quite right chocolate milk.

On a random note. I replaced the light in my kitchen today. It had been out almost four months. If I ever needed to work in my kitchen after dark I just slipped my head lamp on. I think this might help you understand how much time I spend in my kitchen. Why cook when you can eat every meal for cheaper if you out AND no dishes. I mean come on, that's win-win.