Friday, April 11, 2008

blundered

another work week is over. i don't understand this. how can it go so fast? what did i do the last five days. i mean i worked, but what else? did i really fit five days of activities in? looking back, i guess i did, but it just seems a little crazy in a way. i took part in my other extracurricular activities (interesting how that term still applies even as i have stopped being a student) and they were quality as always. especially some time spent with the guys today. two random, more humbling things that happened this week...i had told some friends here that i would come and teach a science lesson to their sons (ages 13,10,8?) this thursday. i had done this once already last term and was looking forward to doing it again. but obviously, not looking forward enough as i completely forgot to plan wednesday night and didn't even here my phone ring on six separate occasions thursday morning to remind me that i forgot. i felt so bad. they forgave me (well i am sure facing the boys on sunday will bring some well deserved blows), but still, for someone who focuses so much on responsibility, it was rather humbling and it really effected the rest of the day. the second humbling experience happened today. i got completely and utterly lost in my city. my city is not a big city. but i managed to somehow get just under a kilometer of course before i realized i wasn't even close to where i thought i was. i knew i didn't know where i was going, but i figured i was going in the right direction and i would come out somewhere obvious. no, not the case at all. i somehow managed to misdirect myself 90 degrees while going under a road (a common mistake by some, but something i typically pride myself in not succumbing to), cross under the biggest street in town without realizing i was going under it which would have led to my awareness of the previous turn, convince myself i was heading in the right direction and continue to proceed of track all the while thinking that the map just wasn't specific enough. wow. i really need to get over myself. when i first had a general idea of where i was i said to myself, no it can't be, i must be misreading the chinese. then sure enough another 200 meters later when i finally pinpointed my location i said, wow. what just happened? and had to take the next 5 minutes convincing myself that i could have made such a blunder, and even then i just wanted to blame it one me just enjoying the beats flowing from my iPod. most times i appreciate my sense of self confidence because it helps me out and typically things end up well. today, it screwed me over. at least i had my music to listen to while wandered.

not needless to say, i am humbled and thankful for grace which is abundantly bestowed upon me.