Tuesday, September 11, 2007

First day of teaching

9/10/07



When I looked in the mirror today before I headed off to class I had to laugh a little bit. I was wearing a tie and my beard is nicely trimmed. I was going for the distinguished I am older than 22 look. It may have worked. Chinese people are actually somewhat surprised when they hear my age because one, I am six feet tall and any one that tall must be older, and two, I have a full beard (height and facial hair, two distinguishing things in Southern China). But all this to say, my response to my reflection was…



"Are you serious? You're a teacher? You haven't taught an organized/official class in your life. But the beard doesn't look to bad and you did a decent job with the Windsor knot, so I guess you can give it a go. Maybe you're students won't care that you are younger than all of them. Maybe they won't mind the fact that you feel like you are going to be up there winging it even though you have thought hours about your lesson plan and what exactly the first day will look like. Actually, maybe you should roll up the sleeves, you don't want to be too much of a poser, yeah, definitely roll up the sleeves."



It's funny how a glance in the mirror can send thoughts whirling. As I headed down the steps out of my apartment I realize that I know just enough to be dangerous. That I am equipped with some basic tools and that is good enough. It's because I only have the basics that maybe Father will be able to do something through me and I won't get in the way this time. That I can be used to teach people how to speak English a little better. I stop thinking so much of my abilities and give credit where credit is due.



My first class went great. In fact, it's National Teacher's Day in China. My class gave me a standing ovation…hmmm, on my first day. Maybe He will be able to use this bearded 22 year old.



…I typed this up after my first class. My second and third didn't go so hot. I think there is still some learning about teaching that needs to be done. It's just rough that it's hands on. Thanks for your Thoughts.