Sunday, September 23, 2007

An Autumn Outing

9/22/07



It seemed like it would at least be a little fun, not to mention an amazing opportunity to spend more time with my students and get to know them a little better. But I really had no idea what an "autumn outing" was. All I knew is that we were leaving at 8:30 on Saturday morning, we were going to some kind of park, and we were going to play some Chinese games-yes, Chinese games. So of course, I'm game. I am going.



I met up with my class (my first year adult learners) and two other teachers in the morning and we made our way to the minibus they had rented to take us to our destination (our own personal minibus--I was impressed). We drove 20-30 minutes North of town and we were dropped off on the side of the road in some field. Not really what I was expecting, so I ask for a little translation. I soon find out we are going through the gate just down the road into the park, but we have to meet for a contact that will get us in for free. We enter the park and I don't really know what to think. Its sort of a river, sort of a run down swim area/carnival combo, small village, etc. But after dropping our stuff off and after having at least 40 pictures taken with me, all of which were awkward solo shots or shots with me standing in my standard Jake picture pose (you probably have one too, you just don't realize it) while peace signs fill the periphery. But I tell them my cheeks hurt from smiling and I get a little break and we continue to head up river until we can go no farther and then proceed to be shuttled one a speed boat up the river, which was now surrounded by a huge canyon with walls at least two hundred feet high in some points-not bad for a park.



The trek goes on past some man made waterfalls and we then hop into some metal boats that carry 10 people each. Where we are going, I have no idea, but I sort of like the suspense and the views of the river are amazing. And then we turn. And go in a cave. And not just any cave. This was a Chinese cave. It had funky colored lights gracing the walls and then…yup, there were colored Christmas lights too. Yeah, amazing. In America we would have had some white lights illuminating enough of the cave that it was showcased and not pitch black, yet you could still appreciated the mystery of it all. In Guizhou-just straight up colored lights. Most visible, many not functioning, but in plain view because of the other lights. But still, it was pretty cool. We exit the cave and head back to the beginning, but not before my "adult" students decide it is a good idea to splash their classmates in the other boat. Away goes the camera, out comes the umbrella, and I just hunker down. Later I am apologized to by some girls, but I insist it was a good time.



By this time, it's lunch time and I am starving and I am quite curious when these games are coming in because I thought we were only going to be here for "five to six hours." Lunch was simple because "dinner would be very nice." Wait, dinner? I already had dinner plans. Looks like I am a little kidnapped and I am calling to cancel my dinner plans. And about these Chinese games…amazing. Well, amazing to tell stories about, because the Karaoke wasn't amazing to hear. And the gambling majiang (phonetically spelled) was entertaining as well. Some other games we played was the Chinese variation of Honey If you love me will you please, please smile and then a random session of making people get up and entertain the class. Of course I was asked to get up and do whatever I wanted. Whatever I want? I am not Sideshow Bob here, what do you want? I can't think of any songs, well any that you all would know. "Tell a joke!" A joke? Ha, that's a good one. I don't think I could get it even close to over the language barrier. Well, when in doubt…dance? Yeah, so I danced for my students. One of them busted out a cell phone, I showed them my very basic hip-hop moves, got my round of applause, and a half hour later we were at dinner. Now this entry is already too long, so I will keep dinner section short. All I will say is that you know the little Mohawks that roosters have? What are those called again? Any way, I ate it. The first bite was on accident, the second was out of cultural obligation to not throw away "good meat." Yeah, who even cooks that thing anyway? And why would anyone think it has any nutritional value? At least it went down easy.



To wrap it up…at the start of the day, no one really talked to me. The few guys who did said everyone was really nervous to talk to me. They "couldn't express themselves, were very nervous, and didn't want to make mistakes." But by our arrival back to campus at 9:00 pm I had had many good conversations, talked with many of my students, and managed to get many of them confident in their speaking abilities. They are comfortable with me now, I mean, after seeing the crazy foreign English Teacher dance in a field to a cell phone, who wouldn't feel comfortable with you? It was a good day. A long day, but a good day. Oh, and the slightly tipsy students (they played a drinking game after dinner, I had some good conversations) hitting on me was a little awkward, but they tell everyone they are handsome, right? Let's hope so.



Well, He is faithful as always. Blessings.