Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Getting lenten

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. Aka the start of Lent. Been thinking a bit about that. Started by asking myself, oh, what do I want to fast? Then moving too, wait, why am I fasting again? And I guess that put everything in a bit of perspective for me. I stumbled across this blog post- http://www.emergentvillage.com/weblog/are-you-giving-up-chocolate-for-lent and thus had ask myself what is going to be an actual sacrifice? What is going to free up time so that I can truly get deeper into prayer and reading the word? I am still trying to figure it out exactly, but I am moving in the right direction. It is probably going to have a lot to do with how much time I spend on the internet. Probably something associated with espn.com (something hard to mess with during March Madness-the NCAA should have really considered the church calendar before scheduling that tournament), but I still have a hard time cutting out reading up on sports a "sacrifice." I mean it's not necessary in the first place, so to give up a unneccesity isn't really a sacrifice is it? But then again I don't think it would be good to give up anything that already works to serve. Hmmm...maybe developing a spiritual discipline. A kind of reverse fast? I know some people who are giving up blogging and internet. But maybe if I develop blogging as a daily spiritual discipline? Hmmm. I suppose we will find out tomorrow if this is what I feel lead to do.